Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Cloud in a jar experiment

Written by Michelle Hackmann (Pink Class Teacher)

During our science circle time we felt a piece of cotton wool and said how it felt. We then saw what happened to the cotton wool when water was added to it. We then discovered how the cloud fills up with water and the water then makes the cloud heavy and the water turns into rain and falls to the ground. Creating a cloud jar was a great way to extend our morning discussion on clouds and how rain is formed.


The process

We covered the entire floor with two layers of paper towels. Then each child was divided into groups of two and was given a jar filled 2/3′s with water. In addition, each child shared four cups of colored water (we added food color) with a partner. Every child was also given a dropper to work with. Once we had all the water and colored water in place, I added a “cloud” (shaving cream) on top of the water in each child’s jar. I then demonstrated how to add drops of color on top of the shaving cream then to watch carefully as the color made its way through the “cloud” and then dropped into our clear water down below. Now it was time to let the children explore the process on their own. They were so focused and interested in coloring their clouds and as the colored water started to flow below the cloud, the children saw the colored rain drops in the clear water. 

They were amazed and discussed it in great detail.














1 comment:

  1. Good day! I know this is kinda off topic but
    I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?

    I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

    Feel free to surf to my site: quest bars

    ReplyDelete